[OpenAFS] buildbot and packages

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:28:13 -0500

Here's my thought:

Spend your 5 start-up hours either re-installing or upgrading your Debian
system to squeeze (the current debian stable). Try doing 'apt-get install
openafs-fileserver', and then, if it works, please edit
https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/tfs/wiki/Home saying so, or if it does not,
create an issue: https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/tfs/issues/new

Also, spend a few minutes looking at time tracking tools (maybe one from
http://lifehacker.com/5362829/five-best-time+tracking-applications or try
http://rescuetime.com ), and let's see what you actually spend.

If you can spend 2-4 hours a week installing a weekly build on both a debian
linux server, and a client on a MacOS X laptop, and then occasionally try
accessing your server and using disconnected operation, my personal opinion is
that's a huge benefit.

(Yes, I'm hand-waving over some things like needing multiple DB servers and
kerberos right now.. we'll get to that next week, or I'll just create a
principal for you on my HOZED.ORG realm)

I'd also like to ask the openafs-info list if it would be appropriate
to create a 'openafs-test' list so we can have a more focused discussion.

Some more technical in the weeds stuff:

Can you leave your debian box powered on, with a real ip, or is it behind a
NAT? My server has a real IP that might change, so I have some VPN tunnels to a
'cloud' virtual private server with a static IP.  I can probably explain how to
set up OpenVPN, but I got irritated enough setting that up that I'd rather
spend time setting up IPv6 tunnels and hacking on v6 support for AFS than
dealing with certificate creation again.

I think the biggest reason I'm leading a crusade for IPv6 support is that I
have a use case a lot like Doug, and if I can get v6 support with fully krb5
authenticated/encrypted transports, then I can forget about ever having to
utter the word 'vpn' or create another damn openssl cert ever again. If,
for some reason, I *do* have to mess around with ssl, I'll have the directions
and documentation and all my certs in my globally accessible (and protected)
AFS directory, so I can find it.