[OpenAFS] the future

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:13:58 -0400

On 09/28/2012 11:33 PM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> If we dust off some old AFS code and paint up with YFS, TFS, and
> WTFS (What The Foo is this File Stuff) logos, and have ourselves
> a nice horserace all the spreadsheet guys can take bets on, what
> might happen?
As I understand, YFS, Inc. is taking this approach.
> How about at the next DEFCON hacker convention we organize a demo
> of a real-time AFS protocol encryption cracker and file-server spoofer?
> I expect this would have all the impact of turning off your servers but
> conveniently providing someone else to blame. Spreadsheet pushers like
> to play blame games, you know.
Manager/Security: "What do you mean that the bloody protocol is
compromised and we can't fix it?! How much to get off of this crap right
now?"

Much backlash. That would just make AFS fail.

I doubt that we would win any customers by deliberately exposing them to
security, regulatory, or legal problems.

Jason