[OpenAFS] the future

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Fri, 28 Sep 2012 22:33:10 -0500

The key here seems to be marketing, and getting inside the head of
the spread sheet managers (or just modifying their spreadsheets).

What do they like? New things, so they can impress their peers
because they got the scoop on some amazing new technology?

If we dust off some old AFS code and paint up with YFS, TFS, and
WTFS (What The Foo is this File Stuff) logos, and have ourselves
a nice horserace all the spreadsheet guys can take bets on, what
might happen?

How about at the next DEFCON hacker convention we organize a demo
of a real-time AFS protocol encryption cracker and file-server spoofer?
I expect this would have all the impact of turning off your servers but
conveniently providing someone else to blame. Spreadsheet pushers like
to play blame games, you know.