[OpenAFS] the future

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 02:49:08 -0700

--bcaec54a385a4522b704cae8336e

I didn't mean an unauthorized shutdown.

How about taking a AFS wide survey using a aklog token driven one time pop
up explaining that AFS is not being updated according to industry standards
and that it needs substantial financial support.

Most users are charged for computer support one way or another. AFS needs
to be included just like Microsoft license fees.

I.e. is there any way to get the users fired up?

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>wrote:

> On 09/28/2012 11:33 PM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>
>> If we dust off some old AFS code and paint up with YFS, TFS, and
>> WTFS (What The Foo is this File Stuff) logos, and have ourselves
>> a nice horserace all the spreadsheet guys can take bets on, what
>> might happen?
>>
> As I understand, YFS, Inc. is taking this approach.
>
>  How about at the next DEFCON hacker convention we organize a demo
>> of a real-time AFS protocol encryption cracker and file-server spoofer?
>> I expect this would have all the impact of turning off your servers but
>> conveniently providing someone else to blame. Spreadsheet pushers like
>> to play blame games, you know.
>>
> Manager/Security: "What do you mean that the bloody protocol is
> compromised and we can't fix it?! How much to get off of this crap right
> now?"
>
> Much backlash. That would just make AFS fail.
>
> I doubt that we would win any customers by deliberately exposing them to
> security, regulatory, or legal problems.
>
> Jason

--bcaec54a385a4522b704cae8336e

I didn&#39;t mean an unauthorized shutdown.<br><br>How about taking a AFS w=
ide survey using a aklog token driven one time pop up explaining that AFS i=
s not being updated according to industry standards and that it needs subst=
antial financial support.<br>
ds to be included just like Microsoft license fees.<br><br>I.e. is there an=
y way to get the users fired up?<br>
ombe <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jason@rampaginggeek.com" targe=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;=
padding-left:1ex">

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
If we dust off some old AFS code and paint up with YFS, TFS, and<br>
WTFS (What The Foo is this File Stuff) logos, and have ourselves<br>
a nice horserace all the spreadsheet guys can take bets on, what<br>
might happen?<br>
As I understand, YFS, Inc. is taking this approach.<div><br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
How about at the next DEFCON hacker convention we organize a demo<br>
of a real-time AFS protocol encryption cracker and file-server spoofer?<br>
I expect this would have all the impact of turning off your servers but<br>
conveniently providing someone else to blame. Spreadsheet pushers like<br>
to play blame games, you know.<br>
Manager/Security: &quot;What do you mean that the bloody protocol is compro=
mised and we can&#39;t fix it?! How much to get off of this crap right now?=
&quot;<br>
Much backlash. That would just make AFS fail.<br>
I doubt that we would win any customers by deliberately exposing them to se=
Jason<br>

--bcaec54a385a4522b704cae8336e--