[OpenAFS] the future

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:41:17 -0500

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 02:49:08AM -0700, Ted Creedon wrote:

> How about taking a AFS wide survey using a aklog token driven one time pop
> up explaining that AFS is not being updated according to industry standards
> and that it needs substantial financial support.
>
> Most users are charged for computer support one way or another. AFS needs
> to be included just like Microsoft license fees.
>
> I.e. is there any way to get the users fired up?

I like this. But I think for this to work we need a simple URL like
'http://openafs.org/donate' that that shows up in the command line aklog
client, and on a clickable link in the GUI client.

Currently http://static.usenix.org/about/openafs/ is the only 'donate to
OpenAFS' link I can find, but that requires cutting a check. The landing
page for donations needs to accept PayPal, Amazon payments, Dwolla, and
Bitcoin, as well as form to click saying 'My organization uses openafs,
please contact __________ who has purchasing authority'

I think it would look better to have a full OpenAFS foundation with clear
governance, but for the moment, all that is needed is some consensus to
set up a 'donate' landing page on OpenAFS.org, and someone to set up the
payment arrangements so checks get regularly cut to the address on the
Usenix association page.

If there is a consensus to go ahead with this, I would be willing to offer
to handle the Dwolla and Bitcoin 'instant donate' links. I can beat whatever
percentage Amazon and Paypal take and still make it worth my time, and I'll
include the others because it makes for wider audience for contributions.

If there is not a consensus to go ahead with this within a month or two,
I'm going to (at whatever glacial pace I feel like it) release TFS version(s)
for Linux, Android, and MacOS that have such a link and donate pages.