[OpenAFS] the future

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:10:23 -0500

I would hope that the donation link would be a more subtle, and equally
effective incentive. If edu CIO's start getting emails from professors
asking "Why is this software we depend on asking for donations", maybe
they'd start looking at their overhead budgets. But that overhead money
will come from somewhere else.. We better have a story on the donation
landing page on how much AFS saves vs the 'storage appliance' and 'cloud'
models that are all the rage among CIOs.

How about a landing page with a survey of "What excessive IT spend would
you cut in your organization and redirect to AFS?".

One-time deals (on linux) that require interaction will blow up all kinds
of automated tools and leave the rank and file admins your enemy.

How do you pop up a dialog when aklog is called via the GDM/KDM login via
pam_aklog, for instance?