[OpenAFS] Upgrading

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:10:42 -0700

J <skyliner306@yahoo.com> writes:

> Wondering if anyone can offer advice as to how best upgrade OpenAFS on
> Debian 5.0.2.=C2=A0 The OpenAFS kernel module package is listed as
> openafs-modules-2.6.26-2-486.

> Should I upgrade Linux first, then OpenAFS?=C2=A0 Or vice versa?=C2=A0 An=
other
> option would be to build a new server, but I'm wondering which would be
> the less convoluted path.

Bill replied for the case where you're talking about an AFS file server,
but I think you may be talking about an AFS client, so I'll answer that
part.

When you dist-upgrade the system, the OpenAFS client will continue running
with the existing kernel module.  All you have to do is arrange to have
the kernel module for the new kernel installed before you reboot the
system.  By far the easiest (and the now-recommended) way to do this is to
install openafs-modules-dkms and the linux-headers package for the new
kernel (linux-headers-486 if you're just using the tracking kernel
package).  Just do that before the first upgrade and DKMS will build new
kernel modules for you.

--=20