[OpenAFS] Server disk operations speed

jukka.tuominen@finndesign.fi jukka.tuominen@finndesign.fi
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:11:24 +0300 (EEST)

Hi all,

thank you for your responses. Before going through them in detail, I would
just like to make a reality check. What kind of performance figures should
one expect from an averagely working afs network (LAN/WAN)? Say, if you
would duplicate roughly the 2000 files/300MB directory in your setup, what
kind of rates do you get? That is, is 500-1000KB/s a reasonable starting
point for optimization, not a magnitude or two higher?

I actually created a simple genetic-algorithm program to optimize
fileserver parameters. Eventhough I didn't run it to full length, I'm
pretty confident I couldn't achieve much higher rates just by
parameterizing the fileserver.

I'm trying to get the performance good for generic, mixed use; some user
may work with large individual files, another one with large amount of
small files. It shouldn't be optimized to either extreme.

br, jukka