[OpenAFS] Re: status/progress for vos move?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:21:12 -0500

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:34:34 -0400
Rich Sudlow <rich@nd.edu> wrote:

> > I'd like to have a halfway reasonable estimate on how long a partial
> > release is going to take before committing to doing it. (yes, this
> > requires at least a guess on server-to-server bandwidth)

Er wait, I thought you were talking about moves. Are we talking about
releases?

> The server bandwidth is easy to figure - the contents of the volume
> are much harder (impossible) to calculate - although you can also make
> some guesses based on the number of files in the volume.

I would have thought the volume contents are the easier part. You can
get the volume size through 'vos size' or 'vos examine', and you can get
the number of files through 'vos examine'. If you have a speed estimate
per-byte and per-file, you can calculate the delay for both and add them
together to get the total time estimate.

You can even estimate the progress for the incremental second half of
the move using 'vos size'. The only thing I think you can't estimate
here is the number of files for the incremental part of the move.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net