[OpenAFS] Re: Investigating 'calls waiting' from rxdebug

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:07:56 -0500

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 12:22:28 -0400
drosih@rpi.edu wrote:

> Can I just edit /usr/afs/local/BosConfig with 'vi' and add the '-p'
> value to the 'parm' line for the fileserver?  And then do
>       bos shutdown <server> -wait -localauth
>       bos startup <server> -localauth
> to make it actually happen?

No, don't do that.

> Or do I need to use 'bos delete' and 'bos create' to create the new
> entry with the parameters I want?

That's the official, most-supported way. Editing BosConfig directly
works fine, too, if you're fine with shutting down the whole bosserver,
but you need to shutdown bosserver _before_ editing it. That is:

 - shutdown bosserver (and makes sure nothing related is running)
 - edit BosConfig
 - startup bosserver

If you screw up something and bosserver can't parse the new BosConfig,
it'll fail to start up; that's why using 'bos create' instead can be
considered "better", though it can be more cumbersome to use.

There is another feature that allows you to make a new BosConfig while
bosserver is still running, and bosserver will pick it up when you
restart, but it's probably not enabled for you (you might predate that
feature existing).

You should probably set at least '-L -p 128' if you have no other
options set. -L sets a few other options besides -p.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net