[OpenAFS] Re: Investigating 'calls waiting' from rxdebug

drosih@rpi.edu drosih@rpi.edu
Sat, 17 Aug 2013 12:30:27 -0400

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > You probably said before, but what vintage of OpenAFS is this?  In
> > older versions, -L only increased the number of threads from absurdly
> > inadequate to merely ridiculously underpowered.  -L in 1.6 uses a far
> > more reasonably-sized thread pool.
>
> To be more precise, this is since 1.4.8. But as Jeff mentions, there are
> many other relevant enhancements since then, as well.

It occurs to me that my previous message still did not mention what
version we're running.  Our file servers are all at:
    AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.4.6

It's somewhat pathetic that we're so far behind, but we've had some
serious sysadmin cutbacks over the last five years, and don't have
enough people to get the work done which needs to be done.  If
it's any consolation, AFS is not the only service where our computer
support is far behind where us sysadmins want to be.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn
Senior Systems Programmer