[OpenAFS] One odd offline volume, can't bring online

drosih@rpi.edu drosih@rpi.edu
Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:01:10 -0400

Another minor mystery:

I noticed we have one AFS volume which is offline.  It's a RO
replica of a 974-meg RW volume where that RW volume is on
a different file server.

So I try to online it.  No errors, but the volume is still offline.
I try to salvage it, and SalvageLog says "is a read-only volume;
not salvaged".  Note that it's just offline, nothing told me that
it was offline-needing-salvage.

Since it's a RO-volume, I shrug and 'vos remove' the volume.
No problem, no errors in any log file.  So I do a 'vos addsite'
and 'vos release' the volume.  No errors anywhere, but when
I do 'vos examine' this new RO volume is once again offline.

What's happening there?  The vice partition has plenty of
spare space.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn
Senior Systems Programmer