[OpenAFS] Re: One odd offline volume, can't bring online

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:18:26 -0500

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:01:10 -0400
drosih@rpi.edu wrote:

> So I try to online it.  No errors, but the volume is still offline.
> I try to salvage it, and SalvageLog says "is a read-only volume;
> not salvaged".  Note that it's just offline, nothing told me that
> it was offline-needing-salvage.

The salvager may look at a readonly volume if you give it the
corresponding RW volid (yes, even though the RW is on a different
server). But that may not be very useful, since problems with RO volumes
aren't fixed; instead the volume is deleted if any problems are found,
and you're just supposed to re-release the volume.

> Since it's a RO-volume, I shrug and 'vos remove' the volume.  No
> problem, no errors in any log file.  So I do a 'vos addsite' and 'vos
> release' the volume.  No errors anywhere, but when I do 'vos examine'
> this new RO volume is once again offline.
>
> What's happening there?  The vice partition has plenty of spare space.

Do the logs mention the RO or RW vol id anywhere at all (even if it
doesn't look like an error)? Are you looking in FileLog and VolserLog?
Can you post the actual output that says the volume is offline?
(obscured if necessary)

You can also try providing the output of:

# volinfo /vicepa 12345

(obscured if necessary) Where /vicepa is the partition the vol is on,
and 12345 is the volume id. 'volinfo' may be in /usr/afs/bin/ if it's
not in your path, or wherever your server binaries are.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net