[OpenAFS] vos shadow to backup user homes

Shouri Chatterjee shouri@ee.iitd.ac.in
Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:05:41 +0530 (IST)

Dear All,

I wanted to ask about "vos shadow" and whether it is being used
as a solution on production systems to back-up user home directories.

The most significant information I can find is a thread from this email
archive last year.
http://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2012-December/039077.html

I can dedicate a server to host only shadow volumes. If an active server
fails and dies, the shadow copy can be brought online. Is this a better
solution than, say:
(1) keeping a periodically rsync'd copy of the /vicepx partitions on a
shadow server
(2) afs over drbd

I am trying to use commodity hardware (no RAID, no scope for software RAID
either) to build cheap AFS storage.

Shouri

Shouri Chatterjee
Associate Professor