[OpenAFS] vos shadow to backup user homes

stephen@physics.unc.edu stephen@physics.unc.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:46:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Shouri,

I've used shadow volumes in the past. Thankfully I never had to test
bringing an entire shadow server into production. I also plan to use it in
the near future (barring contrary advice from the list) for a server which
houses dozens of TBs of research data for a project which can suffer some
downtime (as long as it's unavoidable) but not as much downtime as would be
needed to restore dozens of ~1TB volumes.

I'll leave the topic open though, and would welcome comments on shadow
volumes from any of the devs.

Regarding rsync, depending on the size of your partitions, its performance
may make you cry. I use an rsync-based backup application for my non-AFS
data and am starting to surpass the limits of what rsync can do in a
reasonable amount of time and RAM on current hardware.

However the main reason I'm replying is your comment about RAID. IMO,
anytime you're configuring a mission-critical system without RAID you're
probably asking for future headaches. I think the only time I'd consider it
is if the system had no unique data on it and could be made part of a HA
cluster using [heartbeat, etc]. But at that point you're just abstracting
your redundancy at a different level.

All of my database and fileservers currently use hardware raid (3ware or
LSI/PERC). But one of my "idle time" projects -- a bit of an inside joke
since I have no idle time -- is to play around with ZFS on linux to see if
I feel it's ready for prime time yet or not.

PS. I noticed "Associate Professor" in your signature. Have you consulted
with your local IT support? If they're not overworked, they may have
additional advice specific to your site, discipline, etc.

Cheers,
Stephen