[OpenAFS] Re: How to remove a bogus (127.0.1.1) server entry for readonly volume?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 10:37:28 -0600

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 07:37:54 -0600
John Tang Boyland <boyland@pabst.cs.uwm.edu> wrote:

> $ vos listaddrs
> peter.cae.uwm.edu
> solomons.cs.uwm.edu
> jeremiah.cs.uwm.edu

Could you 'vos listaddrs -noresolve -printuuid' ?

> I'm really surprised that "vos remsite" doesn't work.
> What am I doing wrong?

The reason it doesn't work is because 'vos' has logic to convert any
localhost-y address to the address the local hostname resolves to, to
try and avoid people from adding localhost addresses into the vldb.

However, you shouldn't need to do this, and I'm a little confused as to
how you got the vldb in this state. If you know what fileserver it is
that registered the 127.0.1.1 address, and you NetRestrict it, when you
bring the fileserver up, it should register its addresses properly in
the vldb, and you wouldn't see that entry for 127.0.1.1 again.

But you also shouldn't need to NetRestrict that address, since the code
for detecting the local addresses should ignore loopback-y addresses
when the fileserver registers its addresses. Is there any more
information you can provide on the server that did this, or how you got
the vldb in this state?

However, if you really just want to get rid of the entry, it should be
possible to work around this by temporarily changing the resolution of
the local hostname to 127.0.1.1, and running the 'vos remsite' again
(that is, put an entry in /etc/hosts like '127.0.1.1 myhostname'; just
make sure to take it out quickly). 'vos remsite', of course, does not
remove any actual volume data on the destination site, and just adjusts
the vldb entry.

'vos' should probably do a couple of things to make this easier:

 - Print out that it's doing this loopback address translation thing (at
   least with -verbose, but probably always?)
 - Allow you to force specifying a loopback address if you really need
   to. I'm not sure if that should be a separate option, or maybe just
   avoid doing this for -noresolv?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net