[OpenAFS] Re: How to remove a bogus (127.0.1.1) server entry for readonly volume?

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:02:19 +0100 (CET)

> The reason it doesn't work is because 'vos' has logic to convert any
> localhost-y address to the address the local hostname resolves to, to
> try and avoid people from adding localhost addresses into the vldb.
>
> However, you shouldn't need to do this, and I'm a little confused as to
> how you got the vldb in this state. If you know what fileserver it is
> that registered the 127.0.1.1 address, and you NetRestrict it, when you
> bring the fileserver up, it should register its addresses properly in
> the vldb, and you wouldn't see that entry for 127.0.1.1 again.

Not in the listaddrs list but will it go away from the volume location list?

> But you also shouldn't need to NetRestrict that address, since the code
> for detecting the local addresses should ignore loopback-y addresses
> when the fileserver registers its addresses. Is there any more
> information you can provide on the server that did this, or how you got
> the vldb in this state?

I supect that 127.0.1.1 is not loopback-y enough for the code which might
only detect 127.0.0.x or 127.0.0.1.

Then there might be different tests for loopbackness in different parts of
OpenAFS.

This seems to bite everyone who installs the Debian or Ubuntu packages on
a non-modified server which has

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 myhostname

in /etc/hosts and then does a vos create myhostname or vos addsite
myhostname on the same server (which is a natural thing to do).

So if you do the remsite on the server who has the 127.0.1.1 in
/etc/hosts it should work.

I think the AFS code should reject everything that smells loopback
which means the whole 127.0.0.0/8.

Harald.