[OpenAFS] Re: How to remove a bogus (127.0.1.1) server entry for readonly volume?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 12:21:36 -0600

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:02:19 +0100 (CET)
Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> > However, you shouldn't need to do this, and I'm a little confused as to
> > how you got the vldb in this state. If you know what fileserver it is
> > that registered the 127.0.1.1 address, and you NetRestrict it, when you
> > bring the fileserver up, it should register its addresses properly in
> > the vldb, and you wouldn't see that entry for 127.0.1.1 again.
>
> Not in the listaddrs list but will it go away from the volume location
> list?

I don't understand this sentence.

> I supect that 127.0.1.1 is not loopback-y enough for the code which
> might only detect 127.0.0.x or 127.0.0.1.

No, OpenAFS 1.6.5 detects 127/16; that is, 127.0.x.x. See src/rx/rx.h,
rx_IsLoopbackAddr (in this specific case, called from GetServer in
src/volser/vos.c). This is a kind of balance (or an argument
compromise :) between trying to catch all loopback addresses an
administrator is likely to accidentally specify, but allowing a range of
127/8 addresses if you actually do want to use loopback for testing or
something.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net