[OpenAFS] Openafs vs Red Hat's Netkey

Steve Gaarder gaarder1@math.cornell.edu
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 16:28:11 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:24:55 -0500 (EST)
> Steve Gaarder <gaarder1@math.cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> Then try copying a large file from AFS to the client's local storage,
>> e.g. with rsync --progress.  You will see performance steadily drop to
>> miserable levels.
>
> Could you specifically say what the before/after rates are, for what
> you're seeing? These terms are really subjective; some people would call
> the normal performance you get already "miserable".

By "miserable" I mean transfers well under 1 MB/sec on a 100 Mbps link.
Normal is 6-7 MB/sec.

> A guess would be that something is causing packets to get dropped
> somewhere along the line. Do you have any idea if you're using
> jumbograms?

I don't see any config setting in the files that activates jumbograms, and
the default is not to do them, so I don't think I'm using them.

> You could also just try testing iperf UDP and see if this
> seems to impact the results similarly.

Now it gets weird.  Iperf shows the same performance with or without
IPSEC.  But if I run iperf under IPSEC, openafs performance jumps back up
to normal and stays there for several minutes.  Does this give anyone any
ideas?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
gaarder@math.cornell.edu