[OpenAFS] Re: NetInfo / NetRestrict issue

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:03:16 -0600

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:52:22 +0100
Måns Nilsson <mansaxel@besserwisser.org> wrote:

> I've made a NetInfo file and a NetRestrict file, the first one
> containing the desired address, the second all the undesired ones. The
> file server still shows up on every interface if I try a 'vos lista':

You should only need to set up NetInfo or NetRestrict, but doing both is
also fine.

> In between  reading the manual and discussing with Harald I've
> concluded that the proper place for NetInfo and NetRestrict ought to be
> /etc/openafs/server and there they are. Is this correct?

No. With your config options, they would go in e.g.
/var/openafs/NetInfo. If you ever want to check, just strace the e.g.
fileserver process, and see which files it tries to open.

Details: NetInfo/NetRestrict go in 'afslocaldir', which in transarc
paths is /usr/afs/local. (/etc/openafs/server is analogous to
/usr/afs/etc). For non-transarc paths, afslocaldir defaults to
'@localstatedir@/openafs', and for the provided configure options,
localstatedir is /var.

If you want to follow the Debian packaging, NetInfo/NetRestrict would
instead go in /var/lib/openafs/local/. To get that, you would need to
configure with something like this:

afslogsdir=/var/log/openafs afslocaldir=/var/lib/openafs/local \
    ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib \
                --prefix=/usr/local/openafs162

Obviously the --prefix part is not what Debian does, so binaries would
go in a different place, but that should cause any configuration and
state files to go in the same place. Following the paths of some other
existing packaging might make it easier to find documentation with the
correct paths in it; Debian is just one such option. Just mentioning
that as a possibility.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net