[OpenAFS] Re: AFS DB server upgrade advice

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:34:45 -0600

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:29:25 -0500
Jeff White <jaw171@pitt.edu> wrote:

> It was a painless process though it took vlserver's DB a half hour or
> so to make it to the other servers.  I guess ubik doesn't like
> propagating it while it is being changed on the master.

It shouldn't take that long, unless the Rx throughput in that network is
just really that slow and the database is very large.

We've seen a problem before where the sync takes way longer than it's
supposed to because the servers didn't properly disable jumbograms, so
they tried to use jumbograms to sync the database. There's a fix for
that... which apparently is not in 1.6 yet because I am dumb and forgot
to pull it.

Anyway, if you copy the database to all of the dbservers instead of just
one of them, it's possible you won't need to sync over Rx at all, which
would avoid that.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net