[OpenAFS] fs checkservers ... strange behavior

Andy_Ro romero@fnal.gov
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:45:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi

One of our users reported
that she was unable to access
certain paths in our AFS cell.

I had her run:

  fs checkservers

... which revealed
that, from her system's perspective, one of our
servers was unavailable (even though the server was
really functioning just fine).  I had her ping
the "unavailable" server ... ping worked fine.

Note: Other users do not have this problem.

The user's system is connected to the campus LAN
via WiFi. The user's Mac moves around alot
and I'm guessing does not always get the same IP Addr.
This may be responsible for the issue; however,
I thought modern AFS releases could deal
with clients whose IP addr changes.

Note:
- Re-booting ... did not help
- fs checkv  ... did not help

I have seen this problem, occasionally, in the past.
The problem seems to go away eventually; however,
I really would like to understand why this happens and
how to quickly correct the problem when it does appear.

Thanks
Andy

Note: I resubmitted this question since the forum was reporting:
"Your recent message .... has not yet been accepted by the
mailing list and is still in the pending status.