[OpenAFS] Re: Weird LAN/WAN login problem

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:37:42 -0600

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 02:08:31 +0200 (EET)
jukka.tuominen@finndesign.fi wrote:

> > There are some steps you can take to fix this, but just give me a
> > minute to write them down. Depending on your answer to the above,
> > you probably got into this situation by running 'vos changeaddr'.
> > 'vos changeaddr' has a big warning on it telling you not to run it:
> > <http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/1/vos_changeaddr.html>.
>
> Guilty as charged! I think it is still possible to restore the
> situation where the address is duplicated, but not before the 'vos
> changeaddr' was executed (the public IP changed).

So you know, if you have to change IP addresses in the future, the
"proper" procedure for fileservers is just to restart them (that is, the
server process, not the machine :). You don't need to tell anything
about the new IP address. Fileservers figure out what their IP address
are on startup, and tell the VLDB about them.

If you don't want to restart them, there is another command (vos
setaddrs) that can be used for that, but it's not necessary and a
somewhat recent command.

However, for dbserver processes, you do need to change IPs in a
configuration file (CellServDB). Maybe one way to think about this is
that the only things you need to change for a changing IP address is if
you can find the old IP address written in a configuration file. Not
just if you see the old IP in the output of a command, but if you
specifically find it in a file on local disk. That applies to NetInfo
and NetRestrict if you use those, too.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net