[OpenAFS] Shutdown/startup of entire cell

Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:14:55 -0500

--------------enig93A55B25F5262331E757C1FF

You can shutdown the file servers without shutting down the
database servers.  During the outage the database servers
may lose the ability to elect a master.  Therefore you should
avoid making any database changes during the outage window.

I would run one file server with a single local disk partition
containing a readonly site for the root.afs and root.cell volumes.
This could be on one of the database servers.

I would shutdown any file server with network attached storage
for the length of the outage window.

I would also place a README file in the root.cell root directory
describe the outage for those that might check.

If you are going to shutdown the database servers.  Shut them down after
the fileservers and restart them before the file servers.

Jeffrey Altman