[OpenAFS] Shutdown/startup of entire cell

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:01:05 -0500

On 1/10/13 11:45 PM, Thomas Kula wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Due to circumstances way beyond my control (a major network
>> upgrade), I am going to need to shutdown our entire AFS cell
>> this Saturday.  So, tha is less than 36 hours from now.
>
> Others have addressed the proper order for shutting down AFS
> servers well, so I won't touch on them.
>
> I will point out that when I was at UMich we ensured that all
> of our AFS fileservers were restarted at least once a year.
> I did advocate for emptying fileservers before doing that,
> although that never took hold, for various reasons, but with
> modern hardware it wasn't too onerous of a process. The bulk
> of the time was "waiting for callbacks to be broken".

It happens that we have done controlled shutdowns and restarts
of all our fileservers "recently", although that is more by
dumb luck than good planning.  We did one restart of them all
in the summer of 2012, and one in the summer of 2011.  Before
that, I think they had gone four or five years without a restart.

I expect we're going to make a point of doing such restarts on
more regular and planned basis!

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn                =     drosih@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org