[OpenAFS] Re: Shutdown/startup of entire cell

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:04:59 -0600

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 23:45:18 -0500
Thomas Kula <kula@tproa.net> wrote:

> I will point out that when I was at UMich we ensured that all of our
> AFS fileservers were restarted at least once a year.  I did advocate
> for emptying fileservers before doing that, although that never took
> hold, for various reasons, but with modern hardware it wasn't too
> onerous of a process. The bulk of the time was "waiting for callbacks
> to be broken".

Callbacks are not broken during fileserver shutdown.

Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking at an irrelevant detail, but it's
far from the first time I've heard someone say that, and it's not true.
If your fileserver is taking a while to shut down, it's for other
reasons.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net