[OpenAFS] Win32: Free space of readonly volumes

Tobias Doerffel tobias.doerffel@gmail.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:57:03 +0100

Hi Jeffrey,

thank you very much for your quick response!

2013/1/23 Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com>:
> File a bug report against the application that is querying volume
> information for the root directory of a drive mapping instead of for the
> path that the application is actually interested in.

The problem is that this occasionally happens with the Windows
explorer (Win XP as well as Win 7) however we can't recognize a
pattern.

> As a work around for applications that cannot be fixed, use a drive
> letter mapping to the root of the volume you wish the application to access.

At our company for performance reasons we're using a readonly clone
for the project root volume which only contains submounts for each
project. Mounting each project volume on a different drive letter is
not an option for us. I still cannot fully understand why a RO volume
should report 0 bytes of free space. An application should be unable
to write to that volume because it is a readonly volume and not
because there's insufficient free space. The latter one should not
matter, because IMHO it is not related to the actual problem.
Otherwise you would have to report 100% quota usage for all RO volumes
as well.

Anyways, if there is no (and will not be an) option to configure the
mentioned behaviour, we have to remove the RO volume in order to
satisfy our complaining users ;-)

Best regards

Tobias