[OpenAFS] Re: IP address changes

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:11:21 -0600

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:12:25 +0000 (GMT)
Antony Mayi <antonymayi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've done major network redesign changing all IP addressing. I've only
> changed the IP addresses in /usr/afs/etc/CellServDB (servers)
> and /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.local (clients). I unfortunately didn't
> follow any of the 'vos changeaddr' mentioned in doc but now 'vos
> listaddrs' on any of the DB servers doesn't show any of the old IPs so
> can't run the changeaddr anymore.

Did a guide or something tell you to run 'vos changeaddr'? See the
CAUTIONS section of
<http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/1/vos_changeaddr.html>.

> All AFS seems to be working fine but in some cases some operations
> (ie. aklog, vos xyz, etc.) just hang (random clients, random time, no
> common pattern). When stracing this I can see it still tries to use
> the old IP addresses.

Editing CellServDB won't update the in-memory list of the client. You
can change the in-memory list with 'fs newcell', and view it with 'fs
listcell -numeric' (or without -numeric, if that's what you want).

Editing CellServDB.local also won't directly change CellServDB. Some
Linux packaging generates CellServDB from .local and other files during
client startup; the tools themselves only look at CellServDB. So, that
probably only had an effect if you restarted the client.

> What do I need to do to let AFS forget about the old IPs? What and
> where is caching the old IPs?

First make sure CellServDB (not .local) is correct. Are there DNS
entries pointing to the old IPs? Do you see a DNS lookup for the host
names when you strace those utilities? Try checking the A record in DNS
for the host names in your CellServDB (the part after the #, remember
the # is not a comment).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net