[OpenAFS] Re: IP address changes

Peter Grandi pg@afs.list.sabi.co.UK
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:30:23 +0000

>> I've done major network redesign changing all IP addressing. I've on=
ly
>> changed the IP addresses in /usr/afs/etc/CellServDB (servers)
>> and=A0/usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.local (clients). I unfortunately didn=
't
>> follow any of the 'vos changeaddr' mentioned in doc but now 'vos
>> listaddrs' on any of the DB servers doesn't show any of the old IPs =
so
>> can't run the changeaddr anymore.

> Did a guide or something tell you to run 'vos changeaddr'? See the
> CAUTIONS section of
> <http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/1/vos_changeaddr.html>.

I have been wondering for a while about changing the addresses
of the AFS db servers, in part because this previous message:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.openafs.general/33=
296

    =ABMoving the database server with the lowest IP address
    requires some care; moving database servers generally
    requires updating clients;=BB

Is that still current? What is the extra care for the elected
master? I have some guesses, but would rather know.

BTW I keep adding hints/pecularities of OpenAFS configuration to
this section:

  http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxFS.html#fsHintsAFS

and I have just found some more in the UBIK wishlist:

  http://www.openafs.org/roadmap.html

And these about elections:

  https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2008-June/029469.htm=
  http://www.mail-archive.com/openafs-info@openafs.org/msg29311.html