[OpenAFS] Problems Setting up new AFS cell in AWS

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:55:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013, Victor Marmol wrote:

> afs-newcell fails when it tries to contact bos. The BosLog says:

I seem to recall that that is a debian-specific script, which not everyone
would be familiar with.

> From the little I found online there were some references to a NetInfo
> file, but I was unable to find any good documentation for it. The file does
> not appear in my instance.

I believe you will need a NetInfo file if you are behind a NAT.  Did you
see http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/5/NetInfo.html ?  It seems to be
using transarc paths, but translating to FHS-compliant paths should not be
too difficult.

> Has anyone had similar experiences setting up an AFS cell in AWS? or behind
> a NAT?

I believe we have had a couple people report back from running AFS cells
in AWS, with some unfortunate experiences relating to the network.
Apparently our Rx stack does not always deal well with the delays and
interruptions that AWS VMs can see; it might be better with dedicated
(large) instances.  It may be worth searching the list archives to find
these reports, though I can't do so right now.

-Ben