[OpenAFS] Problems Setting up new AFS cell in AWS

Victor Marmol vmarmol@gmail.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:20:47 -0700

--089e0158c5aa4f148904df70f06b

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2013, Victor Marmol wrote:
>
>  afs-newcell fails when it tries to contact bos. The BosLog says:
>>

> I seem to recall that that is a debian-specific script, which not everyone
> would be familiar with.

Ah, yes it looks like it is debian specific.

>  From the little I found online there were some references to a NetInfo
>> file, but I was unable to find any good documentation for it. The file
>> does
>> not appear in my instance.
>>

> I believe you will need a NetInfo file if you are behind a NAT.  Did you
> see http://docs.openafs.org/**Reference/5/NetInfo.html<http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/5/NetInfo.html>?  It seems to be using transarc paths, but translating to FHS-compliant
> paths should not be too difficult.

Thank you! The key insight was the transarc paths to FHS since my system
uses the FHS path :) the server is setup and the clients (outside the NAT)
are able to access the files as normal.

>  Has anyone had similar experiences setting up an AFS cell in AWS? or
>> behind
>> a NAT?
>>

> I believe we have had a couple people report back from running AFS cells
> in AWS, with some unfortunate experiences relating to the network.
> Apparently our Rx stack does not always deal well with the delays and
> interruptions that AWS VMs can see; it might be better with dedicated
> (large) instances.  It may be worth searching the list archives to find
> these reports, though I can't do so right now.

I just started running the server on AWS and will report back on my
experience.

Thanks again!
Victor

> -Ben

--089e0158c5aa4f148904df70f06b

=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kaduk@mit.edu" target=3D"_blank">kaduk@mit.e=
quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
afs-newcell fails when it tries to contact bos. The BosLog says:<br>
I seem to recall that that is a debian-specific script, which not everyone =
ke it is debian specific.=A0</div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
>From the little I found online there were some references to a NetInfo<br>
file, but I was unable to find any good documentation for it. The file does=
not appear in my instance.<br>
I believe you will need a NetInfo file if you are behind a NAT. =A0Did you =
see <a href=3D"http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/5/NetInfo.html" target=3D"=
 seems to be using transarc paths, but translating to FHS-compliant paths s=
hould not be too difficult.</blockquote>

S since my system uses the FHS path :) the server is setup and the clients =
(outside the NAT) are able to access the files as normal.=A0</div><blockquo=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Has anyone had similar experiences setting up an AFS cell in AWS? or behind=
a NAT?<br>
I believe we have had a couple people report back from running AFS cells in=
 AWS, with some unfortunate experiences relating to the network. Apparently=
 our Rx stack does not always deal well with the delays and interruptions t=
hat AWS VMs can see; it might be better with dedicated (large) instances. =
=A0It may be worth searching the list archives to find these reports, thoug=
h I can&#39;t do so right now.<br>

n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

-Ben<br>

--089e0158c5aa4f148904df70f06b--