[OpenAFS] Run file server without client?

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:06:55 -0400

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:58:18 -0400
Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:

> Without meaning to insult the average system administrator, installing AFS client on the servers is a recipe for creeping disaster. It works fine for a year, then a new guy takes over who doesn't really understand AFS, and that person adds more AFS dependencies, lather, rinse, repeat. One day he reboots the file servers and they don't come up.

What really yanks my chain (on linux atleast) is that a kernel upgrade
will prevent the server from starting because the kernel module can't
be loaded.  As long as you aren't running the inode fileservers, there
isn't a dependency.  It makes me think that the "unified" startup script
should finally be split into a client and server script.