[OpenAFS] Run file server without client?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:32:54 +0000

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:
> Without meaning to insult the average system administrator

Well, since all system administrators are above average,
you can not have insulted anyone (yet) :-).

I agree with both what you and Russ are saying.
It all depends on your organizations processes
and disciplines(*).  I have been said to be somewhat
pedantic (I can hear the chuckles of the lurkers
on this conversation :-), and do believe it is possible
to make it work (and have done so in various previous
lives).  And Russ also has a working example.  Not
all organizations can (or will) implement the controls
needed to make it viable.  That is why making the
choice of installing the client on servers needs to
be made in the environment that one is running.
You are probably making the correct choice for
your environment.

Gary

(*) You could always move to a complete ITIL
approved process to enforce the discipline.