[OpenAFS] Re: byte-range lock errors

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 17 May 2013 11:18:29 -0500

On Thu, 16 May 2013 23:21:58 +0200
Jaap Winius <jwinius@umrk.nl> wrote:

>    afs: byte-range locks only enforced for processes on this machine \
>    (pid 4538 (firefox-bin), user 10000).
>
> Is it possible to enable support for byte-range locks in this version
> of OpenAFS,

Well, they are on, sorta. They're on as much as they can be on, with
current OpenAFS.

> or failing that and since it doesn't seem to affect  Firefox
> (Iceweasel) anyway, is it possible to disable these particular  error
> messages?

It doesn't affect you because you're running it on one machine,
presumably. What it's warning you about is that if you access it from
multiple machines at the same time, you may encounter some issues.

How often are you seeing these messages? There is some simple
rate-limiting so you're not supposed to see them for the same process
more often than once every 2 minutes. But maybe it's that
once-every-two-minutes that you're talking about :)

I think running this should turn them off:

fs messages -show console

or

fs messages -show none

But that turns off a lot of other messages, too. There's currently no
way to turn off the "byte-range locks" messages specifically, though
doing so of course would not be difficult from a technical perspective.

Do you (or others) know what you'd want such an option to look like? It
could be yet another thing in /proc/sys/afs...

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net