[OpenAFS] Help rekeying cell when both service principals (afs@REALM and afs/cell@REALM) exist

Kim Kimball dhk@ccreinc.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:40:27 -0700

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply and effort.

I suspect most of the ancient clients are using "klog" (though
kinit/aklog is an option for most.)

I'm using krb5 with krb-forward on the AFS DB servers.

The existence of the afs/cell@REALM principal is an artifact of an
optimistic attempt to upgrade all clients several years ago, and the
persistent hope that this may still occur.  Also I'm not the KRB admin,
though that appears to be in flux.

I'll do some testing on the following ... currently both principals have
the same kvno and only /usr/afs/etc/KeyFile is in play ... and both
principals include des-cbc-crc in their encryption types.  And thanks
for the heads up -- I'm still trying to reproduce the configuration that
causes the specific failures ("bad" AFS creds) I was seeing and I've not
tested this case.

> If both principals are in use, then they must have different kvnos.  The
> KeyFile format is not capable of storing multiple keys with the same
> kvno.

Kim