[OpenAFS] Re: Update squeeze openafs-fileserver to squeeze-backports

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 03 Oct 2013 13:15:25 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if it matters, and sorry if this is getting too far off
> topic, but I'm not following this as the reason. It's invoking
> /usr/share/debconf/frontend, which at least for a debian system I'm
> glancing at, is a perl script, so of course the perl isn't going to
> honor 'set -x'. But if you mean that that perl reinvokes the original
> postinst shell script, I don't see how it could do so; how does it know
> which script to run?

See /usr/share/debconf/confmodule.  Basically, it passes in $0.

I suspect the actual problem isn't so much that, now that I've looked at
it more, but with this bit:

# Only do this once.
if [ -z "$DEBCONF_REDIR" ]; then
        # Redirect standard output to standard error. This prevents common
        # mistakes by making all the output of the postinst or whatever
        # script is using this library not be parsed as confmodule commands.
        #
        # To actually send something to standard output, send it to fd 3.
        exec 3>&1
        if [ "$DEBCONF_USE_CDEBCONF" ]; then
                exec 1>&5
        else
                exec 1>&2
        fi
        DEBCONF_REDIR=1
        export DEBCONF_REDIR
fi

I bet the -x output ends up still happening, but going off into some other
file descriptor where it gets ignored.