[OpenAFS] Re: [ Openafs : cache on zfs ]

milek@task.gda.pl milek@task.gda.pl
Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:09:59 +0100

We've been running AFS cache on ZFS directly for some time now, with no
issues.
The trick is to set AFS cache size somewhat smaller than the amount of space
present by the file system (so essentially we slightly over-provision). On
top of it we enable ZFS compression on the cache file system, so in reality
we overprovision even more. All works fine.

Given that AFS cache tends to be small (several GBs, anyone is using
considerably larger cache?), a small over-provisioning is not an issue.

For example, create ZFS file system for AFS cache as:

# zfs create -o atime=off -o quota=8G -o reservation=8G -o compression=lzjb
-o recordsize=8K -o mountpoint=/afscache rpool/afscache

And in cacheinfo the specified cache size is: 6710886

This is less than 2GB overprovisioned (assuming nothing will compress), but
with modern disk sizes of OS it doesn't matter at all and seems to be a safe
enough margin. The compression is not for disk space saving it is more for
doing less i/o in some cases (depending on data).

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com