[OpenAFS] Re: [Elders] [OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS Foundation Update

Tom Dopirak tdopirak@gmail.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:17:19 -0400

--Apple-Mail-689ECA02-5B10-4DF5-BECA-744F8573DCA8

You rock. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 7, 2013, at 14:42, Roman Mitz <rmitz@openafs.org> wrote:
>=20
> It's been a while.  Here are the latest updates, with apologies for the de=
lay.
>=20
> Updates:
> *  A signed agreement has been struck between IBM and representatives of t=
he Creation Committee.
>=20
> * Our lawyers reviewed, then submitted the incorporation papers for The Op=
enAFS Foundation, Inc.;=20
>=20
> * The foundation has been created.
>=20
> * A bank account has been opened.
>=20
> * All funds remaining from previous years (not dedicated to the OpenAFS Wo=
rkshops) have been transferred into the new bank account.
>=20
> * Working on filing non-profit status with the IRS.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Details:
>=20
> * Todd has been instrumental in facilitating the complicated process of ge=
tting a signed agreement and of having IBM agree that we may use the terms "=
AFS" and "OpenAFS" in the name and description of the Foundation.  This was a=
 critical step in preventing potential legal issues over naming and terminol=
ogy in the future, which many of us had been fearing and hoping to avoid.  Fu=
ture agreements covering other aspects will likely have to be forged, but th=
e first step has been done successfully.
>=20
> * The firm's team reviewed what our group had compiled to-date as required=
 materials going into the application package for the foundation of the Foun=
dation.  OpenAFS Foundation, Inc., is now incorporated and marked as non-pro=
fit-to-be in the incorporation categorization.  This means that the Foundati=
on now exists as a legal, independent entity.  For the purposes of the incor=
poration, all five of us had to be listed as preliminary directors, but we w=
ill hand over this role when the first true board members have been chosen.
>=20
> * Also, Roman opened an independent bank account for the Foundation with t=
he PNC Bank.  As the minimal number of authorized signors should be two, the=
 Pittsburgh location was the logical choice.
>=20
> * All moneys previously donated to the cause of OpenAFS were transferred f=
rom the previous account at CMU into the new bank account.  Funds for the cu=
rrent OpenAFS Workshops are kept separately in that existing organization.  W=
e are happy that we could meet the fiscal year deadline by Carnegie Mellon, a=
nd all went smoothly.  These moneys are now available to the Foundation as o=
perating funds.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Next steps and how you can help:
>=20
> * The Creation Committee, after having procured a tax ID for the newly inc=
orporated Foundation, will need to compile the packet of materials supportin=
g our application for official non-profit status with the IRS.  It is the IR=
S that awards this status, if our application is approved; if the approval f=
ails, we will have the opportunity to improve the organization and/or applic=
ation and re-try at a later date.
>=20
> * In the not too distant future, the preliminary board (i.e. Our Creation C=
ommittee) wants to hand over the baton to the initial Board of Directors.  T=
hus, we are seeking individuals with a proven track record of business succe=
ss and with good connections.  You may help us with suggestions or volunteer=
ing; resumes would be most helpful.  The Creation Committee can then contact=
 viable candidates and invite them to serve pro-bono on our initial Board of=
 Directors.
>=20
> Roman, on behalf of the Creation Committee
>=20
>=20
>=20
> PS: This update is being published in both the OpenAFS newsletter and via t=
he openafs-announce list in an attempt to reach the broadest audience.  Plea=
se direct any questions or comments to foundation-discuss@openafs.org -- Tha=
nk you.