[OpenAFS] Re: Naming of "backup" and "up" commands

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:10:15 -0500

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:13:19 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> > Would it be appropriate to also have an optional compat package that
> > could symlink the original names?
>
> Yeah, we could do that, I suppose, although it's going to be hard to
> know when to drop the package.

Well, not doing it at all is equivalent to just dropping it immediately.
So if this is an improvement at all, even just doing it for one or two
debian releases seems better than nothing.

> Although I'd really rather do something that OpenAFS is also going to
> adopt, since I have to rename the command in all the man pages.

Yes, I was kind of thinking for openafs, too. While making the old names
not work may not be appropriate for the 1.6.x timeframe, I don't see a
reason not to rename them with appropriate symlinks immediately.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net