[OpenAFS] freezes acessing /afs/.git

Markus Köberl spsc-sysadmin@mlist.tugraz.at
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:45:17 +0200

--nextPart1844211.6MJqJEEY2W

On Wednesday 13 August 2014 11:05:02 Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> On 8/13/2014 10:35 AM, Stephen Joyce wrote:
> > I think someone mentioned an exclude list as a possible solution to=
 this
> > problem.
> >=20
> > What about an include list instead (or in addition to the exclude l=
ist)?
>=20
> I don't think you are asking for an include list but a configuration
> option to disable lookups for unknown cells and cell aliases.
>=20
> The search order is as follows:
>=20
>  1. if a cell alias exists, use the specified cell name
>=20
>  2. search the CellServDB.  If found and a server list is present,
>     use it.
>=20
>  3. If no server list was found in CellServDB and afsdb lookups are
>     enabled, use DNS SRV/AFSDB records to try to find a match.
>=20
> At the present time DNS SRV/AFSDB queries permit the use of domain
> search lists by the resolver in order to support automatic discovery
> of cell aliases.

What about an option to change the behavior of 3. to:

  3. If no server list was found in CellServDB and afsdb lookups are
     enabled, use DNS SRV/AFSDB records to try to find a match only if=20=

     the search term includes at least one ".". Use DNS SRV/AFSDB queri=
es
     but deny the resolver the usage of the domain search lists.

The option may be named something like -afsdb-no-domain-search
This way it is possible to use aliases using the CellAlias file and als=
o prevent
lots of timeouts (because we only search for something which looks like=
 a full domain name).=20
The CellAlias file could also get generated by the installer so=20
that there are no huge drawbacks in using this option.

regards
Markus K=C3=B6berl