[OpenAFS] Re: freezes acessing /afs/.git

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 22:26:36 -0500

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:45:17 +0200
Markus Köberl <markus.koeberl@tugraz.at> wrote:

> What about an option to change the behavior of 3. to:
>
>   3. If no server list was found in CellServDB and afsdb lookups are
>      enabled, use DNS SRV/AFSDB records to try to find a match only if
>      the search term includes at least one ".". Use DNS SRV/AFSDB queries
>      but deny the resolver the usage of the domain search lists.

This generally sounds reasonable to me. But I think you want to just
require a dot if the name doesn't exist in the csdb at all, so you can
just put it in the local csdb if you want to use it, without needing to
alias it to a full cell name. (This may have been mentioned earlier, but
I don't see it here.) I'd call such an option -afsdb-ndots, which would
set the minimum number of dots (like resolv.conf's "option ndots").

However, this doesn't solve the issue when files like libX11.so or
beamer.cls like in your captured list. You really need a blacklist for
these, or we can just try to improve the negative caching. iirc, we
already have some hard-coded 'blacklist' entries to appease things like
OS X's Finder, so a configurable blacklist doesn't seem like such a big
change. Doing any actual pattern matching could be done in userspace and
can be very slow if we just cache results in the kernel (keep a
'negative' cell struct around).

Some of the entries in your earlier captured list I'm a little
confused/concerned by, though:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 21:46:42 +0200
Markus Köberl <markus.koeberl@tugraz.at> wrote:

> libX11.so
> libX11.so.6
> libX11.so.6.la
> libX11.so.6.so
> libX11.so.la
> libX11.so.so

You really have something that tries to load libraries from the current
directory (or some ancestor directory)? What if you're in /tmp, or some
other world-writeable dir? Someone could put a libX11.so in there and
run arbitrary code as you.

> *.ltx

Are these literal '*' characters, by the way? (That is, it's a failed
glob, not a just a bunch of different entries that end with '.ltx')

With some of these entries, even a blacklist will not solve everything.
It's not possible to know with certainty that libx11.so or matlab7rc.sh
are not valid cell names without querying dns first; they could be in
the future. Maybe more-obviously ambiguous examples would be
'liberty.so', a real library, or 'brew.sh', a real domain.

A blacklist might help for a vast majority of cases, though. Or of
course we could just improve the caching, so only the first lookup is
slow... would that be good enough, if done "well"?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net