[OpenAFS] Migrating existing data onto vice partition on the fly

Levente Peres otravier@gmail.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:45:27 +0100

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for answering.

I might have been a little obscure... I'll try to clear this up for you.

So... Right NOW I have a partition called /vicepa, which exists right
now, and has an XFS volume, which is used actively. It has some
terabytes of data and about 2.5 times of free space as the actual data.
This data has to be migrated within the same server to AFS.

Unfortunately, I have only this "one" partition remotely big enough to
hold the data and/or fast enough to handle in a reasonable amount of time.

My idea was based on the following: Somewhere I remember reading, that
it would be OK to have "AFS filesystem data" and "normal files" coexist
on the same partition for a while, if I watched carefully not to run out
of space. This may or may not be true - it was a long time.

So my original concept was that I would create the AFS filesystem on
"top" of the "existing data" on the /vicepa partition, then copy it over
to the cell's logical mount, then just delete the "old" data and have a
"pure" AFS partition left after.

Not sure I can be more clear, but I try if you ask.

Would this even work?

Best Regards,

Levente