[OpenAFS] Migrating existing data onto vice partition on the fly

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs@altum.de
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 17:08:27 +0100

--nextPart8876305.laXCSN5ckv

Am Dienstag 30 Dezember 2014, 16:45:27 schrieb Levente Peres:
> Hello Jeff,
>=20
> Thank you for answering.
>=20
> I might have been a little obscure... I'll try to clear this up for y=
ou.
>=20
> So... Right NOW I have a partition called /vicepa, which exists right=

> now, and has an XFS volume, which is used actively. It has some
> terabytes of data and about 2.5 times of free space as the actual dat=
a.

Why did you mount it as /vicepa at all? It's not an AFS partition.

> This data has to be migrated within the same server to AFS.

Why same server? An AFS setup usually consists of several servers, espe=
cially=20
if you want to serve terabytes of data. Not to mention the needed kerbe=
ros=20
server.

> Unfortunately, I have only this "one" partition remotely big enough t=
> hold the data and/or fast enough to handle in a reasonable amount of =
time.

Fast enough for what? To copy over the data or to serve it afterwards?

> My idea was based on the following: Somewhere I remember reading, tha=
> it would be OK to have "AFS filesystem data" and "normal files" coexi=
st
> on the same partition for a while, if I watched carefully not to run =
out
> of space. This may or may not be true - it was a long time.

Yes, it could work, but you should definitely test it on a spare machin=
e first.

> So my original concept was that I would create the AFS filesystem on
> "top" of the "existing data" on the /vicepa partition, then copy it o=
ver
> to the cell's logical mount, then just delete the "old" data and have=
> "pure" AFS partition left after.

You should also plan to divide the data into logical chunks that you ca=
n store=20
on different AFS volumes (even if you stay on your single server), as i=
t will=20
make backups or migration of your data to other /vicepX partitions (may=
be on=20
other AFS servers) easier.

HTH...

=09Dirk
=2D-=20
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de>
Tel: +49 (0)2471 209385 | Mobil: +49 (0)176 34473913
GPG Public Key CB614542 | Jabber: dirk.heinrichs@altum.de
Tox: heini@toxme.se
Sichere Internetkommunikation: http://www.retroshare.org
Privacy Handbuch: https://www.privacy-handbuch.de