[OpenAFS] Migrating existing data onto vice partition on the fly

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs@altum.de
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 17:57:43 +0100

--nextPart2475377.Zh4DKVSI9s

Am Dienstag 30 Dezember 2014, 17:33:44 schrieb Levente Peres:

> > Why same server? An AFS setup usually consists of several servers,
> > especially  if you want to serve terabytes of data. Not to mention =
the
> > needed kerberos server.
>=20
> Same server because I need the transfer to be quick. Once I start - I=

> need to do the migration in max 1-2 hrs... tops. I know... I know...

Copy over some terabites of data in 1-2 hours? That's challenging. AFS =
is a=20
network filesystem, and your data will need to go through the cache man=
ager=20
anyway. That means you MUST run the AFS client AND server on this same =
machine=20
while it still serves the data from the old location.

Still, what about the kerberos setup? Do you have one already? If not, =
you'll=20
have to set it up, too (before setting up AFS).

> >> Unfortunately, I have only this "one" partition remotely big enoug=
h to
> >> hold the data and/or fast enough to handle in a reasonable amount =
of
> >> time.
> >=20
> > Fast enough for what? To copy over the data or to serve it afterwar=
ds?
>=20
> Both I guess but that's not the main issue, first problem is migratin=
> it in a very short time. So I need to do it the ugly way, within the
> same server... I don't have 8Gb switches or the like and storage fabr=
ic
> etc to assist me in this externally... simple "work with what you got=
"
> issue...

But you have rsync at your service. You can use it to copy most of the =
data=20
over in the background. You can even do several iterations and then do =
the=20
last iterations after ensuring that the data can't be modified anymore.=

And that's where you'll get into trouble. You can't mount it ro since i=
t's=20
also your /vicepa partition. If you serve it via NFS currently, you cou=
ld re-
export it ro, though.

Bye...

=09Dirk
=2D-=20
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altum.de>
Tel: +49 (0)2471 209385 | Mobil: +49 (0)176 34473913
GPG Public Key CB614542 | Jabber: dirk.heinrichs@altum.de
Tox: heini@toxme.se
Sichere Internetkommunikation: http://www.retroshare.org
Privacy Handbuch: https://www.privacy-handbuch.de