[OpenAFS] Migrating existing data onto vice partition on the fly

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:29:51 -0500

On 12/30/2014 11:57 AM, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Dienstag 30 Dezember 2014, 17:33:44 schrieb Levente Peres:
>
>>> Why same server? An AFS setup usually consists of several servers,
>>> especially  if you want to serve terabytes of data. Not to mention the
>>> needed kerberos server.
>> Same server because I need the transfer to be quick. Once I start - I
>> need to do the migration in max 1-2 hrs... tops. I know... I know...
> Copy over some terabites of data in 1-2 hours? That's challenging. AFS is a
> network filesystem, and your data will need to go through the cache manager
> anyway. That means you MUST run the AFS client AND server on this same machine
> while it still serves the data from the old location.
>
> Still, what about the kerberos setup? Do you have one already? If not, you'll
> have to set it up, too (before setting up AFS).

>>> Fast enough for what? To copy over the data or to serve it afterwards?
>> Both I guess but that's not the main issue, first problem is migrating
>> it in a very short time. So I need to do it the ugly way, within the
>> same server... I don't have 8Gb switches or the like and storage fabric
>> etc to assist me in this externally... simple "work with what you got"
>> issue...
> But you have rsync at your service. You can use it to copy most of the data
> over in the background. You can even do several iterations and then do the
> last iterations after ensuring that the data can't be modified anymore.
>
> And that's where you'll get into trouble. You can't mount it ro since it's
> also your /vicepa partition. If you serve it via NFS currently, you could re-
> export it ro, though.
>
> Bye...
>
> 	Dirk

You can do a bind mount where you mount the old folder as read-only (I
think) in a new location, then only serve out files via AFS and the
renamed read-only share.

     mkdir /vicepa-readonly
     mount /vicepa /vicepa-readonly -o ro
Then share out /vicepa-readonly as a share.

** don't try this at home/work**
Other crazy and dangerous options could include using something like
AUFS with the RO orginal data and a new AFS layer on top, which is all
mounted as a non-AFS share (security?). Tthe new data would be written
to AFS, but still visible as a share until the migration is complete,
then change the clients to use AFS instead of the old sharing protocol.
*Here be dragons!!*

Jason