[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:11:16 -0600

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:35:14AM -0500, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> On 2/17/2014 11:10 AM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> > Could some of the professionals here please estimate a direct dollar cost for
> > such a thing?
> >

> Who is going to pay for the design and estimation efforts?
>
> There are many approaches that can be used but before selecting one over
> another it is important to perform a threat analysis to determine which
> risks the solution must protect against and what the use cases are.
>
> For any estimate to be reasonable there will need to a work break down
> of the implementation tasks.
>
> It would not be unreasonable for such a design analysis and work break
> down to cost $10,000.
>
> An implementation that could be used by banks or government agencies
> would easily cost hundreds of thousands of U.S. dollars and take a year
> or more.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

So $10k for design, and $100k for implementation sufficient to protect a
small business's data worth between $250k, and $1M.

Does that sound reasonable? Do you think a 10X scaling factor for data
protection is reasonable, as in $100K will protect data worth $1 million?

If it's going to take a year, I should have plenty of time to figure out
how big of a mining farm I need to make the money to pay for it :P

Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                  hozer@hozed.org
7 elements      earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul        grid.coop

      Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
         nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash