[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

Jukka Tuominen jukka.tuominen@finndesign.fi
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 01:05:35 +0200

> On 20.2.2014, at 21.30, Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:21:40PM +0200, Jukka Tuominen wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
e stitched with a separate VPN and file encryption software, when it could b=
e all built-in.
>>>=20
>>> Combining tools doing their jobs well is not a bad strategy. Using EncFS=
 with OpenAFS as the backend sounds interesting. Alas, it seems a bit stale.=

>>>=20
>>>   Stephan
>>=20
>> I'm all for combining the best efforts of various projects (see my own bi=
gger-than-life project at www.liitin.org), I just don't think the outcome is=
 very secure if its up to each individual to stitch up all the components to=
gether themselves. I mean, everything necessary is out there right now, but s=
omehow organisations and homes are just worthless :)
>>=20
>> Br, jukka
>=20
> A relevant article:
>=20
> http://www.alternet.org/corporate-accountability-and-workplace/8-ways-corp=
orate-greed-perverting-idea-sharing-economy
>=20
> Can I apt-get install Liitin? This sounds like a very compelling pre-insta=
lled
> software option for my bigger-than-life project for open-source hardware:
> http://q3u.be/
>=20
> --=20

It wouldn't be bigger than life if it were just a few .debs, would it? It's a=
 ~ 8GB ready to use OS image based on Ubuntu. It will boot up read-only from=
 bare metal (at least a few I've tested), as a virtual machine or even from a=
 USB memory stick. It'll ask for your OpenAFS credientials in GUI and you wi=
ll arrive on your  AFS homedir. Well, you can access your Liitin account fro=
m a browser as well, even though it's a native OS.=20

I'm actually currently working on adding a sort of Internet of Things suppor=
t by means of pub-sub messaging. The idea is to be able to add new devices t=
o control from Liitin account or develop new things out of their features.=20=

Sorry, got carried away....

Br, jukka