[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:40:24 -0600

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:27:07AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:
>
> > I remember hearing lots of arguments that getting rid of DES keys would
> > take tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that 'developers need
> > to eat' etc etc.
>
> > Then one day an exploit was announced, and all of a sudden we got
> > http://www.openafs.org/pages/security/how-to-rekey.txt
>
> Which took at least tens of thousands of dollars, and I'm fairly certain
> took hundreds of thousands of dollars.  You just didn't see a bill because
> the cost was absorbed by several institutions who paid staff to work on
> this, and other people volunteered their time.

I've seen plenty of bills where I spent my time working on afs instead of
more marketable or VC-friendly consulting work.

Maybe we are not thinking about this in the right frame. There are billions
of dollars worth of cryptographic currencies that did not exist when we started
arguing about needing to replace DES keys, and if I had left my graphics card
mining bitcoin instead of shutting it off because it was too noisy, I'd be
hiring someone to do this.

Here's a thought experiment: Can we make a cryptographic currency (afscoin?) in
which say 5%, 10% or whatever of the coin is 'premined' and to be handed out by
an appropriate foundation on delivery of working code?

Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                  hozer@hozed.org
7 elements      earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul        grid.coop

      Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
         nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash