[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

Russ Allbery eagle@eyrie.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:37:19 -0800

Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:

> Maybe we are not thinking about this in the right frame. There are
> billions of dollars worth of cryptographic currencies that did not exist
> when we started arguing about needing to replace DES keys, and if I had
> left my graphics card mining bitcoin instead of shutting it off because
> it was too noisy, I'd be hiring someone to do this.

> Here's a thought experiment: Can we make a cryptographic currency
> (afscoin?) in which say 5%, 10% or whatever of the coin is 'premined'
> and to be handed out by an appropriate foundation on delivery of working
> code?

This idea has a lot of promise, but wouldn't an even better idea be to
fund the project with gold acquired from the greys that you're in contact
with?  They can bring new resources from outside the solar system, which
avoids a closed economic model.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>