[OpenAFS] Linux OpenAFS & EncFS?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:59:43 -0600

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:37:19PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:
>
> > Maybe we are not thinking about this in the right frame. There are
> > billions of dollars worth of cryptographic currencies that did not exist
> > when we started arguing about needing to replace DES keys, and if I had
> > left my graphics card mining bitcoin instead of shutting it off because
> > it was too noisy, I'd be hiring someone to do this.
>
> > Here's a thought experiment: Can we make a cryptographic currency
> > (afscoin?) in which say 5%, 10% or whatever of the coin is 'premined'
> > and to be handed out by an appropriate foundation on delivery of working
> > code?
>
> This idea has a lot of promise, but wouldn't an even better idea be to
> fund the project with gold acquired from the greys that you're in contact
> with?  They can bring new resources from outside the solar system, which
> avoids a closed economic model.

Maybe you know something I don't, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I at least have some numbers to back up my delusions, courtesy of http://coinmarketcap.com/
71 	Catcoin 	$ 226,205 	$ 0.19 	1,188,550 CAT 	$ 3,081 	-16.17 %

Of course, the numbers don't look very good right now, I'm speculating they
will look better after it shows on TV.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/raining-catcoins-dogecoins-opray-winfrey-reality-show-backs-animal-cryptocurrencies-1434629

I mostly jest, but Marketing is serious business.

OpenAFS has been marketing to the same dead, dying, and shrinking crowd of
institutions that are always chronically short of funds or you have to get
someone to get a grant, or sleep with the university president, or some
such nonsense.

When are we going to get serious about marketing to new computing users about
the compelling advantages a robust, well-tested, and reliable open source
distributed filesystem offers over vendor-lock-in half-assed solutions like
Google Drive and dropbox?

I know there are a few of you openafs users and developers that can look farther
than the institution that signs your paycheck.